Capitol Region Watershed District remembers George Floyd and stands with our Black staff, board members and residents against racism. Like many of you, we’re grieving, listening, and continuing to work towards a world that is equitable and just.
CRWD has made diversity and inclusion a priority. Click here for a summary of the work we’ve done since adopting the District’s first Diversity Plan in 2018, or continue reading below to find out what’s ahead in 2020.
1. Expand CRWD’s internal awareness of the opportunities and challenges related to creating a more diverse and inclusive environment.
- All staff, Board of Managers, and Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC) members will be required to attend an implicit bias and anti-racist training.
- Staff will continue to meet each month to discuss diversity and inclusion topics.
- Staff will provide a Diversity Plan update for the Board of Managers and CAC.
2. Deepen relationships with many communities in CRWD by increasing outreach.
- Staff will participate in and support community gatherings serving Black, Indigenous, people of color, recent immigrants, young adults, and youth.
- Staff will promote Stewardship and Partner Grant programs in the central and eastern portions of the District to expand clean water programs and projects.
- Staff will create culturally appropriate communications materials.
3. Increase organizational diversity and inclusion efforts by increasing recruitment of candidates who truly represent our district for staff, CAC and service providers.
- Staff will use best practices for inclusive hiring for all positions.
- Staff will review youth internship and career development opportunities offered by CRWD and its partners. They will be adapted to serve Black, Indigenous, youth of color.
- Staff will increase contracting with Targeted Group/Economically Disadvantaged/Veteran Owned Small Businesses.
4. Be a Leader in Diversity and Inclusion.
- Staff will work with the state of Minnesota, Ramsey County and our cities to share CRWD’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Staff, Board and CAC members will advocate for diversity and inclusion in all facets of the District’s work.
CRWD welcomes the opportunity to talk with you about the work we have completed so far and ways to continue growing and improving in the future.